Monday, January 29, 2007

Introduction to The Bacchae

Entry #5
Work: The Bacchae by Euripides

After several failed attempts at reading with a headache, I'm glad I made the prudent choice and backed up to read the Introduction to The Bacchae.

I'm always surprised to learn that some people can keep all the characters in a particular mythology straight. I don't know why. In this country with its predominant Christianity, even my children, who have very little religious exposure know the characters of Moses and Noah, not to mention Jesus Christ. Sage is even aware that his middle name, Bartholomew, was also an apostle who was flayed alive. It's just a different set of characters from a different time and place, I suppose. Still, I get so confused by the multisyllabic names and variant spellings that I'm in awe of anyone who can talk intelligently about the characters' histories.

One line in the introduction that stands out to me is "The Bacchae is a warning that Greek civilization should not place ideas before people" (xv). Having been immersed lately in 19th centrury black women writers, I've grit my teeth and have shaken my head more than once at the idea that a book, an ancient book, could be held up and be simultaneously used to oppress a people, justify actions against an entire people, and finally, be the hope for a people. As Blessington says in his introduction, "reigned-in spirits will break loose" (xiv) Thank god.

Onward to the reading of the play--Perhaps with some dim thought to offer upon completion.

Till later...

No comments: