Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Comedy in The Frogs

Entry #10
Work: The Frogs by Aristophanes

Just some random thoughts on The Frogs...

I've thought about the interaction between Xanthias and Dionysus. There were elements that felt familiar to me, and not until I was drifting off to sleep last night did it occur to me what they were.

Their relationship is a common theme in cinematic comedy. It's the "smart butler, dumb master" bit. The example that springs to mind is the butler, Dobson (played by John Gielgud) and Dudley Moore in Arthur. There are variations which mimic this dynamic more closely where the servant is the trickster or the true master of cynicism, but Arthur will do just fine. Dobson is obviously more intelligent than the man he serves. It begs the question -- how does a god such as Dionysus find himself so often the foolish one?

Also, the clothing switch when they arrive at the inn is reminiscent of a Marx Brothers skit. Or a Three Stooges skit. Or some other vaudeville slap-stick comedy. One just knows, in the reading, that this identity shift is not going to benefit Dionysus. He's portrayed as such a buffoon that it must turn out badly.

As I said, random thoughts. "Turning the tables" seems to be the primary comedic device in The Frogs, and though it is humorous, I have to say that after reading first The Bacchae, I must say I felt sorry for the treatment of Euripides by Aristophanes.

That being said, I'm happy that I'm finally beginning to place these Greek authors into a historical context.

Till later...

No comments: