Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring Break

Entry #16
Work: The River Between

I've been watching, in dribs and drabs, a PBS video collection entitled This Far By Faith. I'm looking for material for a somewhat topic-defined paper for Reading Black, Reading Feminist (WMNST 462). It's facinated me in reading black feminist writing that Christianity seems to have such a central role in their lives, in their psyches, and yet, the institution of Christianity is in most cases very patriarchal in its execution. (I just re-read that sentence and was struck by the juxtaposition of the words "Christianity" and "execution." Hmm...)

I'm on disk five now, and the story has progressed to the civil rights era, Black Power, return to African beliefs and religious practices. And it reminded me that I need to finish reading The River Between.

I'm in no hurry. Spring break stretches out before me, and I feel obligated to fritter away some of it. Then again, I also have the urge to make the most of ever moment, and if that involves enjoying the soft flannel of my nightgown for a few extra hours on a Monday morning, so be it.

This post is intended to relate to The River Between. And I'm thinking about my women's studies paper as well. TRB focuses much on the traditions of the people being usurped by a moral righteousness of the "saving" white man. The same moral righteousness here, in this country, being used as a method of control of an enslaved people. I'm trying to work this out in my own mind as I write -- how pure were the native religious beliefs of the people when they were brought here? How many of them found Christianity to be not so foreign? I need to check the timelines. Islam was also widespread in Africa. Facts gathered, I think this relationship requires more reflection. I will come back to it.

The hardest part of reading The River Between is maintaining objectivity. I think, for understanding, it's necessary to view what was rather than what I feel about what was. As tolerant as I believe myself to be, I'm seeing that it isn't so in the reading of this book. The issue of circumcision is repulsive to me, and not only female circumcision. The description of the ritual for young men is, in my realm of experience, barbaric, and I do believe I know something of the barbaric. I'm trying, though. I am truly trying.

I'm very near the end of TRB, and I hope to finish it before day's end. Then, perhaps, I can begin to discuss it in literary and philosophical terms, and hopefully then, with some sort of objectivity.

Till later...

No comments: